8 Tips to Cleaning Area Rugs
By Greg Garner
Beautiful, ornate area rugs add to a dash of charm to your place. When added to the living room, dining room or the bedroom, the corner becomes cozy, warm and inviting; one can end up spending endless hours on the rug. But like all other furnishings and upholstery, they gather dust, gravel, germs, pet hair and other unwanted elements. Your favorite rug may be the breeding ground for bacteria and virus. The dust and life hidden behind the fibers are capable of causing dangerous diseases and health hazards like asthma, bronchitis and various breathing problems.
It is recommended that you vacuum clean the carpet almost daily for best results. Vacuum cleaning the rug vigorously and frequently will dislodge some the dust and unwanted particles in it. If done daily, the carpet can be clean but cannot get rid of the dust completely. The carpet has to be cleaned and dusted vigorously, at least once a fortnight. Listed below are 8 tips and tricks to clean your area rugs perfectly.
• Once in a while, take the cleaning process outside, into an open area, so that the dust does not settle on your favorite things or your favorite people.
• Every once in a while, hang the area rug on a clothesline or place it on a wall while you beat it gently with a stick. The blows will dislodge all the grime stuck in it.
• Use a good quality carpet cleaning solution that can be effective in cleaning the carpet completely. Mix it with a small amount of warm water and pour it all over the rug. Gently shampoo the rug with this mixture and brush with gently with a soft brush. Clean with lots of water till the water comes out clear and let it sun dry or air dry completely.
• Dilute a portion of a carpet cleaning solution with warm water and spray the dilution all over your carpet. Let it sit for a while and then brush, clean and wash with clear water till the water becomes clear.
• Gently brush your carpet with a soft bridled brush to remove the dirt stuck in the fibers. Doing this regularly can keep your carpet neat and clean for a long time.
• Sprinkle baking soda generously all over the rug as it absorbs all odor. Brush and vacuum clean as normal.
• You may also use a dilution of vinegar and water and spray the mixture all over the carpet for the same purpose of absorbing odor. Vinegar dilutions are useful for removing stains caused on the rugs due to pet urines.
• Sun-dry the carpet regularly to get rid of all the bacteria residing in it.
Without us knowing, the carpets we love so much can become breeding grounds for bacteria, virus, fungus and other microbial organisms. Added to that would be the dust which can cause a lot of harm. Those with pets and children should be more careful. Regularly cleaning of area rugs is very essential, to keep the house disease free and infection free.